Building Official III
|Open Date||Dec 21 2020 - 08:44:00 AM||Close Date||Jan 24 2021 - 11:59:00 PM|
|Position Title||Building Official III||Posting Type||Permanent Full-time|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Full Time|
|Department Group||Building Services||Hours per Week||40|
|Education||High school plus completion of related courses or certificates||Experience||5 years|
Building Official III
The Okanagan Lifestyle Is Calling!
West Kelowna is an emerging city where opportunity awaits in the spectacular Okanagan Valley. Captivating lakes and mountains, orchards and vineyards provide countless recreational opportunities. Find your life balance here and grow your career with us. West Kelowna is calling! We love it here… and we are certain you will too!
The City of West Kelowna is looking for an experienced and customer service focused individual to join our building inspections team on a full time basis. We are looking to hire a Level III Building Inspector, however if you have a Level II BOABC certification and you are close to be certified as a Level III your application will be considered.
In this position, your responsibilities will be to conduct building inspections of permit applications for compliance to building and zoning bylaws, B.C. Building and Plumbing Codes and related regulations. Your role will also include plan examinations, issuing building permits and discussing construction alterations and repairs with homeowners, contractors and consultants. Your success at this position will be based on a thorough knowledge of building construction methods and the ability to read and interpret plans so as to provide technical advice for a wide variety of building projects. The ability to communicate verbally and in written form on a daily basis will reinforce your customer service skills.
Our ideal candidate:
- A professional who qualifies as a Level III Registered Building Official (RBO or RBI) with the Building Officials Association of BC and Level I with the Plumbing Officials. Level II Certification with the ability to obtain a Level III Certification may be considered
- An experienced inspector with at least 5 years in the role
- Extensive knowledge of local government statutes such as the BC Building Act, Local Government Act, Community Charter, City regulations, policies, procedures, all bylaws, and the BC Building and Plumbing Codes
- Knowledge of structural, civil, geotechnical, mechanical, and electrical engineering pursuant to the Building Code
- Journeyman Level Certification in one or more acceptable construction trade or Civil or Structural Engineering Diploma
- A strong relationship builder who can connect with businesses, customers, development representatives and external clients
- An effective problem solver with a solution-oriented mentality
- A multi-tasker who can manage complex projects as well as identify and overcome obstacles
- A positive influencer who starts every shift ready to review plans, issue permits and conduct inspections
- A person who can keep the Building Inspections schedule on track to ensure efficient, reliable service to our customers
- A worker who’s conscientious of safe operating procedures and occupational health and safety guidelines
- An employee who’s software savvy with Excel, Outlook and Word, and electronic permit tracking systems
- A proven communicator and collaborator who makes sound recommendations consistent with legislative requirements
- A mentor and team builder
Pay $44.57/hr @ 40hr/wk, M-F
Attachments20-66E Building Official III.pdf